AUTUMN IN KELOWNA
Cool Stuff To Do With Kids in Kelowna This Fall
By Kristen Thompson. Oct. 11, 2017
Summer has slipped away from us, like beach sand through our fingers, and the days are getting shorter and cooler. It’s time to embrace plaid sweater scarves, tall boots and pumpkin spice everything… and all the fun things to do around the Okanagan as the leaves start to change:
• PUMPKIN PATCHES •
Davison Orchards Country Village
Family-run farm and orchard featuring bakery, cafe and country market, fresh produce, farm animals, playground and activities for kids, as well as seasonal events including apple picking, pumpkin patch and hay rides.
- HOURS: Opens seven days a week, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- ADMISSION: Free
- ADDRESS: 3111 Davison Road, Vernon
- For more information visit website here.
Family-friendly working farm featuring corn maze, pumpkin patch, hayrides, farm animals, corn pit, slingshot, and more.
From September 27th until September 30:Tuesday to Wednesday – Noon to 5 pmThursday to Friday – Noon to 6 pmFrom October 1st to October 31:Sunday to Wednesday – 10am to 5pmThursday to Saturday – 10am to 6pm
- Price: Visit website for more info
- Location: #1 – 3690 Berard Rd (not Bernard), Kelowna.
• HALLOWEEN FUN •
Family Monster Bash
Capital News Centre is hosting its annual spooktacular Family Monster Bash. Get into the Halloween spirit with fun and games for all ages including face painting, a mini Park and Play, Halloween-themed activity stations, Zorb soccer, cookie decorating and a free skate. Skate rentals will be available, but participants are reminded to bring their helmets. The concession will also be open.
- When: Sunday Oct. 29, 1 – 4 p.m.
- Price: Free with donation of non-perishable food item
- Location: Capital News Centre 4105 Gordon Dr., Kelowna
Halloween Boo Barn
Arion Therapeutic Farm‘s Halloween fundraising is a family-friendly rain-or-shine event (most activities have cover). The farm’s Furry Friends will be dressed up for our Haunted Halloween Tours in the indoor arena. Okanagan World Of Reptiles will be performing two shows (2 p.m. & 3 p.m.). Other activities include Costume Contests, Spooky Carnival Activities, Squash Sling, Hay Rides, Face Painting, Miniature Pony Leading and Popcorn.
- When: Sunday Oct. 29, 2 – 4 p.m.
- Price: $10 per person
- Location: 2457 Saucier Rd., Kelowna
Fun and free Fall Festival for all ages. Dress up in a fun family-friendly costume and collect lots of treats along the candy trail. Try the fun maze, pumpkin catapult, bounce houses and carnival games. There will also be food trucks on site.
- When: Tues. Oct. 31, 5:30 – 8 p.m.
- Price: Free with donation of non-perishable food item
- Location: Willow Park Church, 439 Hwy 33, Kelowna
6th Annual Trunk or Treat
Willowstone Academy will host its 6th annual Trunk or Treat on Halloween day. Trunk or Treat is a safe, family-friendly alternative to trick-or-treating for families with children up to 10 years of age. Climb aboard a firetruck and receive treats from over 40 Willowstone Academy/First Lutheran Church member’s decorated car trunks! Parents can stay warm with coffee supplied by the Mission Creek Starbucks. Bring new men’s, women’s and children’s socks to donate to local shelters.
- When: Tues. Oct. 31, 4 – 5 p.m.
- Price: New socks for donation
- Location: Willowstone Academy. 4091 Lakeshore Rd. Kelowna
• RECURRING EVENTS •
Family Daze at O’Keefe Ranch
Bring the whole family for Halloween activities at the O’Keefe Ranch. Some of the historic buildings will be open and decorated and the General Store will be selling old fashioned Halloween candy. Kids can enjoy a run through the maze, try a pony or tractor ride, have their face painted, take part in an art activity, or a climb in the giant spider web. Grab a snack at one of the food trucks available to keep your energy going all day long!
This is a family friendly event – the corn maze is spooky but it does not have live actors, and the seasonal décor in the buildings is suitable for children to explore.
- When: Weekends starting Oct. 7, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Price: $10 per person or $30 for a family (up to 5 people)
- Location: O’Keefe Ranch, 938 Hwy 97N, Vernon
Maze 11 am – 4pm
Pony Rides 11 am – 3pm
Face Painting 12 – 3pm
Art Activities 12 – 3pm
Kelowna Corn Maze
- Open: Oct. 6 onwards, from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily
- Price: $3 during the day, $5 at night (when the maze gets extra spooky – bring a flashlight!). Group bookings must be made in advance.
- Location: 575 Valley Rd., Kelowna
Kangaroo Creek Farm
Want to hold a baby kangaroo? Me too! Our family loves this place. Arrive early to get good parking, especially on weekends. This family-friendly farm is home to kangaroos, wallaroos and wallabies, as well as emus, peacocks, fancy chickens, goats, parrots, potbellied pigs, and a capybara. And yes, you can snuggle the babies!
- Open: Every day in September, and Oct. 1 to 9th 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Closed for the season after Oct. 9.
- Price: Adults $10, Youth (under 19) $5, Seniors (65+) $5, Children under 5 free. Cash only. Punch cards available.
- Location: 3193 Hill Rd, Lake Country.
Sunday Fundays at Hoofprints Barnyard
Wrangle up the family and head to the barnyard to enjoy Kelowna’s only petting zoo, bonfire with marshmallows, play area, concession and more. Hoof Prints prides itself on its ethical animal treatment, and rescuing farm animals in need.
- Open: Every Sunday until the end of October.
- Price: $5 for all those 3 and over.
- Location: 5850 Anderson Rd., Kelowna
- FYI: Cash only.
Kettle Valley Steam Train
This really fun excursion takes you along the only preserved section (10 miles worth) of the historic Kettle Valley railway, which was built between 1910 to 1915 to connect the Kooteanays to the Coast. You get to ride on a restored 1912 steam locomotive, either in a vintage passenger coach or open air car. The 90-minute ride features stunning views of orchards, vineyards, forests and the lake. We’ve been twice and love it!
- Open: Sept. 7 – Oct. 9: Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays, with departures at 10:30 and 1:30 p.m.
- Price: Adults $24.50, Youth $19.50, Seniors (65+) $22.50, Children 3-12 $15.50, 2 and under (on lap) free.
- Location: 18404 Bathville Road, Summerland.
Myra Canyon Adventure Park
Family outdoor fun for kids ages 3 to 103. This awesome park features ropes and challenge courses, a team building area, kinder tree course area with netted climbing, ground games and disc golf, and picnic areas with a BBQ and fire pit.
- Open: Sept 8 to Oct 9: Fri 2pm Sat/Sun 10am to sunset. Last start 2h before sunset.
- Price: $17 – $49. See here for a more comprehensive breakdown.
- Location: 4429 June Springs Rd, Kelowna
Family Sundays at Kelowna Art Gallery
Every Sunday, the Kelowna Art Gallery hosts three hours of hands-on activities for kids
- Open: Every Sunday from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Price: $4 per person, which includes participation in the activity and gallery admission.
- Location: 1315 Water Street, Kelowna
• ONE-TIME EVENTS •
Uptown Rutland Scarecrow Festival
- Open: Oct. 1, 12 to 4 p.m.
- Price: By donation
- Location: Lions Park, 205 Gray Rd, Kelowna
Dino Dig at Kelowna Museum
Come see Kelowna Museum‘s dinos as they make a quick visit from storage. Test your paleontology skills and join in for a fossil dig.
- Open: Sept. 15, 16, 22, 23, 29 and 30, from 2:30-4:30
- Price: By donation
- Location: 470 Queensway Avenue, Kelowna
For more information, please contact:
Jen at 250.868.4836
Craft Tuesdays at Fun Bugs
- Sept. 19 – Rainbow clouds
- Sept. 26 – Ladybug headbands
- Oct. 3 – Thanksgiving turkeys
- Oct. 10 – Feathered birds
- Oct. 17 – Flowers and pots
- Oct. 24 – Ghosts
Saturdays at Orchard Park Chapters
Saturdays at Toys r Us
For errors or omissions, please email email@example.com. Happy Fall!
Hey, you might also like:
It’s here! My favourite time of year, and along with it, comfy cozy cool-weather fashions. As Isla gets older, she’s also embracing her own sense of style, which is reflective of her personality: a little girly, a little urban, and a little outdoorsy. Here are our favourite fall fashion pics for my precocious preschooler.
It’s crisp and cool outside, the pumpkin spice Bailey’s is flowing, and it’s time to dress our little people in adorable mini-me cool weather styles. Here are our favourite fall fashion pics for my energetic toddler.
From bouncy castle play centres to storytime at the library, here’s a list of Kelowna’s best pay-per-use indoor playgrounds and free drop-in programs. Click here for a list of things to do every day of the week.
Tiny URL for this post: